Two known new variants of the coronavirus have been identified since 501Y Welsh variant. This page will keep you updated on the new strains are being found throughout the world.
- Started in South Africa
- Confirmed in the UK as well
- “highly concerning because it is yet more transmissible and it appears to have mutated further than the new variant discovered in the UK” ~ Matt Hancock on December 23, 2020
- First found in the UK in November
- Spread in Europe, Southeast Asia, Oceania, Israel, and the Middle East
- 56% more transmissible (source: London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine)
- Could be up to 70% more transmissible (source: COVID-19 Genomics UK)
- Accumulated 17 mutations (only on the spike protein)
Since November 2020, a variant strain of SARS-CoV-2 has become prevalent in the southeast of England, reportedly accounting for 60% of recent infections in London. This variant has a mutation in the receptor-binding domain (RBD) of the spike protein at position 501, where amino acid asparagine (N) has been replaced with tyrosine (Y). The shorthand for this mutation is N501Y (source: CDC Implications of the Emerging SARS-CoV-2 Variant VOC 202012/01)
- First detected in Manaus in the Amazonas state in Brazil in mid-December
- The researchers published their findings on January 12
- This variant was also detected in Japan (travelers who came back from Brazil)
Many countries have already suspended travel to/from the United Kingdom and the list is growing.
- January 18, 2021 – California pauses vaccination due to several cases of allergic reactions – probably due to a bad batch of Moderna vaccines
- January 14, 2021 – A health care worker in Harrisonville, MO suffered a severe allergic reaction
- January 11, 2021 – Japan confirms 4 cases of Brazil P.1 variant from travelers who came back from Brazil
- January 1, 2021 – A health care worker in Oregon was hospitalized for a severe allergic reaction to Moderna’s coronavirus vaccine.
- December 31, 2020 – Florida identified the first case of the UK COVID-19 variant in Martin County, a male in his 20s with no history of travel.
- December 30, 2020 – Two people in North Dakota have suffered severe allergic reactions after taking the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine.
- December 30, 2020 – California confirmed the first case of a COVID variant. Colorado reports a second suspected case.
- December 29, 2020 – Colorado confirmed the first case of the B117 variant. The patient has no records of travel.
- December 26, 2020 – Canada confirmed two cases of the new COVID-19 variant strain in the Toronto area.
- The US imposes travel restrictions on British travelers – must get a negative COVID-19 test before the flight
- Japan bans all entries of all non-Japanese nationals from the world from December 28 through the end of January after two more people to have been infected with the new coronavirus variant
- The Health Ministry of Israel has identified another 18 cases of the British mutation of coronavirus