How to apply to become a school bus driver in Fairfax County, VA. Let’s look at what benefits and salaries are offered for school bus driver employment opportunities from Fairfax County Public Schools.
Table of Contents
Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) is hiring school bus drivers (on going opportunity). The bus driver shortage was caused by multiple factors, but mostly due to low pay and inconsistent work hours and schedules.
FCPS made significant improvements over the last few years. The starting pay for a bus driver position is now $24.55 per hour (as of today, October 2023), and $17.36 per hour for a bus attendant position.
FCPS is offering a signing bonus up to $2,000!
FCPS school bus driver position is an excellent opportunity for retirees, stay-at-home parents, and even college students.
Starting pay/salary (as of October 2023)
Based on 2024 schedule H, FCPS unified scale:
- School bus driver – $24.55 / hour
- School bus attendant – $17.36 / hour
- School bus floater – $25.53 / hour
- School bus supervisor – $28.72 / hour
*Floaters – bus drivers who cover the routes of drivers on leave.
- Paid training – FCPS will help you get your CDL license
- 6 paid non-working days
- Retirement plan
- Health and dental plans
- Life and disability insurance
- Advancement opportunities
- Summer hours are available
- Field trip hours are available for those who want more hours
- Opportunity to drive electric-powered buses
- All FCPS buses are now equipped with A/C units
- Must be at least 19 years old
- A clean driving record (doesn’t have to be perfect)
- Must pass a physical exam, drug screening, and background check – drivers are randomly selected for drug screening (yes, you will get paid for the hours) as long as they stay driving for FCPS.
- Must attend and complete a five-week training program (yes, it is a paid training)
- Must take the CDL road test and obtain a CDL
The hours vary depending on the route you are assigned to. But a typical route starts around:
- Morning shift: 6:00 to 9:30 a.m.
- Afternoon shift: 1:30 to 5:00 p.m.
- Shuttles: 9:30 to 1:30 p.m.
- Field trips: 9:30 to 1:30 p.m. or 4:00 p.m. to 11 p.m. or later for some trips. Also weekend field trips are available.
How to Apply
All links will open in new tabs.
I visited FCPS’s facility when they got the upgraded electric buses. I will share some of the photos below. They are from 2021.