Education Northern Virginia

Virginia K-12 Learning Acceleration Grant Program FAQs

VDOE Grant

The FAQs for VDOE’s grant was published only in PDF form for some reason. We are posting the FAQs for the grant here.

(Updated as of 7/31/23)

Assistive Technology is an approved expense for students with disabilities. Whatdoes that mean and who can purchase it?

Up to $750 in grant funding can be used to purchase Assistive Technology for a student with a disability. Additional guidance related to Assistive Technology is available here

When purchasing Assistive Technology, the parent will be asked to attest that the item is in support of their student’s disability.

Can a family member get paid to tutor my student?

Pursuant to program rules, immediate family members cannot receive payment for tutoring or other services provided to a grant recipient. Immediate family means a spouse, parent or step-parent, grandparent or step-grandparent, sibling or step-sibling, or any other person with whom the student resides.

Can I purchase a computer for my student using their grant funds?

No, computers are not an approved expense, however students with a disability (as indicated on their application) are able to purchase Assistive Technology which supports their disability.

Can I purchase a curriculum, books and other educational materials and teach myown students?

No. Curriculum, books and educational materials are not approved expenses.

Can I use grant funds to pay for private school tuition?

No, school tuition of any kind is not an approved expense.

How can I find a tutor? How do I know what service they offer?

You can find registered tutors in the Parent Tutor Center section on the ClassWallet homepage. You will need to contact them directly to see what services they provide and to schedule tutoring sessions.

I already have a tutor, but they haven’t registered yet. Is it too late?

No. Tutors and other service providers can complete the registration form to get the process started.

Is there a list of disallowed expenses?

To help give additional guidance as parents consider use of their student’s grant, the following are all considered disallowed expenses and will be rejected:

Disallowed expenses include:

  • Art classes or courses
  • Books
  • Chess classes or courses
  • Coding classes or courses
  • College Exam Prep courses
  • Computers
  • Computer classes or courses
  • Cooking classes or courses
  • Curriculum
  • Emotional Support classes or courses
  • Equine therapy
  • Furniture
  • Music lessons, instruments
  • Music therapy
  • Note-taking classes or courses
  • Organizational Skills classes or courses
  • PE classes or courses, equipment
  • Planning for Success classes or courses
  • Public speaking classes or courses
  • Python
  • School Supplies
  • School Tuition
  • School Uniforms
  • Sensory classes or courses
  • Sensory items
  • Study Prep classes or courses
  • Typing classes or courses
  • Video Game-related classes or courses

My tutor wants me to pay up front? Is that allowed?

No. Program rules require that payments be made after the service is provided. Additionally, all purchases and payments must be made through the ClassWallet platform.

What can grant funds be used for?

Grant funds can only be used for tutoring, certain educational therapies, as well as Assistive Technology for students with identified disabilities.

What information needs to be included on invoices?

In order to receive payment, vendors are required to provide the parent with an invoice or statement for services rendered. The parent will then upload this invoice into the ClassWallet platform, submitting for approval by the Virginia Department of Education and subsequent payment. No handwritten documentation will be accepted. As a reminder, all payments must be made after services have been rendered.

To be considered for approval, the invoice must include the following:

  • Vendor/Business/Individual/Provider Information
  • Student First and Last Name
  • Parent First and Last Name
  • Parent Address
  • Invoice or PO Number (numbering system established by the vendor)
  • Date of Invoice
  • Date of Service (NOT a date range, individual service dates must be listed)
  • Description of Service or Good
  • Quantity of Service or Good
  • Subject Area
  • Amount of Payment (if more than one child, list separately)

What kind of tutoring can I use grant funds on?

Tutoring ONLY in core academic subjects is approved. Tutoring can take place online, a hybrid combination of online and in-person, or in-person.

What kinds of educational therapies can my student receive? Do I need to provide their IEP or 504 Plan?

Grant funds can be used for specialized educational therapy services and supports. Approved educational therapy services:

  • Speech and language therapy
  • Specialized reading instruction
  • Occupational therapy
  • Physical therapy
  • ABA therapy

NOTE: All therapies need to be provided by a licensed practitioner, recognized by a state board or agency and the provider must be registered in the ClassWallet platform to receive payment. Parents do not need to provide a copy of their student’s IEP or 504 Plan to receive approval.

Leave a Comment